Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thank you, Starbucks

I don't buy Starbucks simply because I don't drink coffee. I'm a tea drinker and I prefer not to pay $5 for a cup that I can brew for a few cents. But, that's kind of the point for this thank you.

In all of our discussion of race, it is the wealthy (if you spend $5+ on your cup of coffee, I'd consider you wealthy) in this country that often shy away from the discussion. Race is a tricky subject to talk about. It brings up other equally tricky topics, like privilege. Often, those least affected, at least outwardly affected, do not engage in the conversation.

So, kudos to Starbucks for putting the discussion front and center. This is a non-threatening way to start a conversation. However, I'm not sure the typical Starbucks drinker will enter into it. It will be interesting to see three reaction to the slogan.

I also hope that with this new initiative will come with training on how to deal with the inevitable negativity and how to have a constructive conversation on race,

From USA Today #racetogether recasts Starbucks summit http://9fv

No comments:

Post a Comment