Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Do you walk away from diversity?

So many of us have been hurt by religion. I know I was, I walked away from my faith and then after much searching and learning about the facts of my faith - not always what I was taught - I came back.

But, what do we do when we are hurt by our faith? Do we just walk away and make believe nothing has happened? Do we allow the faith to continue to go on as normal? Many of us choose to do that very thing. Many choose to walk away and never help to create or make change from within.

In the TedTalk that I listened to this morning, Chelsea Shields answers that question from her vantage point. She didn't walk away from her faith when things were unequal, she didn't stop showing up for service, she didn't ignore the problem. She stood there and fought the good fight to change a system that was not defining the original claims of her faith.

That, in its essence, is what diversity is about. It is not about ignoring the problems that we have, not about walking away mad, and its definitely not about giving up. Rather, it is about standing in the gap and realizing that a change must be made and slowly making that change. Diversity is about looking at our individual issues, gaps, mishaps, and figuring out how to reconcile them with the world.

Take a few minutes and listen to Chelsea and let me know what you thought of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment