Friday, January 29, 2016

Girl Power!

So often we put girls in a box ---- pink or pastel dresses, bows in the hair, heels, make-up --- these are all the things we associate with girls.

This box allows us to say things like -- whine like a girl, throw like a girl, run like a girl, weightlifting like a girl. None of the comments are said in a positive manner. Quite the opposite, they are meant to be demeaning and derogatory, usually to make a boy feel bad about themselves.

But, do we think how this makes girls in the hearing of these comments feel? 

I work in an office of all men. On almost a daily basis I have heard many of these negative comments said from one man to another - while I'm within ear shot. 

I know that these comments have nothing to do with me.
           I'm pretty sure that the comments have no bearing on their idea of my workmanship. 
                        I'm guessing that they still respect me as a co-worker. 

Do you see the sliding slope? 

Even though comments are not directly referenced to me, they bring a negative air into the office. I don't say anything many of the times that they are said. But, then after a while, my dish full of tolerance runs over and I make some sort of comment; Hey, that's really offensive to me or how about we pick on a different minority group today or is that really how you see me?  At the time that my comments are made most of my co-workers look at me with a confused look. The negative statements are so ingrained into our culture that most of the time the guys don't even realize that they are saying offensive comments. 

Seven months into sharing this office space with my male colleagues and it seems the comments have almost been eradicated - we still have our days, but they are becoming much less. I'm hoping that this is true in their personal lives as well.

I say all this to introduce the best picture I have seen on Facebook in a very long time.

Share with all your girl-friends, girl-children, and girl-colleagues and lets eradicate the negative girl sayings.


No comments:

Post a Comment